Tuesday, December 1, 2009

O Christmas Tree....

So, after the turkey was eaten, and the dishes cleared, we gathered in our living room for a new tradition:

Tree trimming on Thanksgiving.


My husband was good and got the tree set up that morning, with help from my nieces, and had it sitting lit with its tree skirt on. I had wanted him to go ahead and get the tree topper on, but he wanted everyone to be there for that. Which turned out to be a good idea and had everyone giggling later.


We started by going through the box of ornaments that I had finally organized last year. Before this year, I was digging through no less than 5 different boxes for things, and it was making us nuts. This year we had condensed it to 1 plastic tote box. I can honestly say that A was a happy man when it came time to dig out things from our storage closet.

Now, you have to remember that our tree is not exactly traditional. Yes, we do have some very pretty little ornaments in shades of blue with glitter. There are exactly 1 dozen of them. But outside of that, everything else hanging on the tree is more a direct reflection of ourselves. In all its nerdy, dorky goodness....


We have Megatron from the first Transformers movie. My husband has been a fan since he was a toddler, and when it came to pick out ornaments for our tree he had to have this one. The other one in the set is him in vehicle mode from the movie, but I can't seem to find the pic I swore I took of it.


I've always loved Tigger. Always. I have a mountain of plush Tiggers that I have collected over the years, and we found 2 copies of The Tigger Movie while cleaning up our DVDs this weekend. Not to mention the t-shirts and sweatshirts and hats and backpacks....

I think you get the idea.




If you hadn't noticed the tree skirt, I am also a fan of Sleeping Beauty. There are a couple of ornaments with my favorite princess, but the tree wouldn't be complete without Maleficent there as well.




This is technically my brother's ornament. My aunt went on a cruise I think, and saw it and thought of him. Since it is piratey, and all things piratey are good, it is displayed on the front of the tree. I just have to remember that when we put everything away to offer it back to him for his own tree next year.



Our first Christmas together, A's mother sent us this ornament. We had decided to take professional pictures that year, and as soon as I saw the ornament I placed one of them inside. It's hard to believe this is our 4th Christmas together, and this picture is from that first Winter together. Part of me wants to update that picture, but I like seeing the way time has passed.

Finally, the tree was as decorated as could be. I don't have pics of Batman, or the Share Bear ornament. I need to get those, as well as the one of Captain America and Bugs Bunny.

I told you we had a special tree.

The decision was made that the youngest should be the one to put the topper on the tree, and so we grabbed a chair and my youngest niece climbed up to do the honor.









There's no chimney in the house, but we do make sure to put up stockings each year. Mine is a plea for mercy, my husband's suits him, and my brother still uses the one my aunt made for him years ago....



I still cannot believe this will be my last Christmas in California. I loved that my family was there to do this together, and that we laughed and sang along to 80's music while doing it all. I'm always going to remember that night with them.

And, as you can see, even the cats were in a good mood that night...

No comments:

Post a Comment