Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Just A Little Glimmer

On our anniversary, my aunt called from Indiana to wish us well.

My aunt is also my godmother, and while she is so different from my mother in so many ways, I love her for the good person she is. She's always been there at Christmas and birthdays, and I don't think she knows how good it is to have a relative who never missed an important date. She even made the trip for the wedding, and videotaped everything she could.

During our talk, she asked me if I ever got the ornament. Which made me pause and ask, "What ornament?"

She had been cleaning and came across a box with a 2008 ornament that she could have sworn she sent to us. Thinking maybe she had bought 2 by accident, she wanted to check with me. I remember laughing and telling her no, and she apologized because it said 2008 on it and now it wouldn't be the same. I made sure to let her know that it was the sentiment that mattered, and she said she would send it along.

I honestly had forgotten all about this until I received a call from A yesterday. A package had arrived from my aunt and uncle, and he was wondering if I was expecting anything. I laughed and explained about the ornament, and he said we'd open it together.

Now, my aunt is known for style in our family. It is unique, and to tell you the truth I think it works for her. I don't know how, but she does make things work when dressing, and I do have to admire that.

Knowing this, I wasn't sure what to expect at all. My mind was expecting something small from Hallmark, but at the same time there was a part of me expecting some glittering ball with 2008 painted across it.

Instead, I was greeted with this:


What we have is a Lenox crystal bride and groom together in a red box. The gray tassle is for hanging on the tree, and the 2008 nestled in there made me smile. It may be a year late, but the ornament is perfect because I will always look at it and think of us and our first year together.

I have to admit that getting in the holiday spirit has been difficult for me. But this made me smile. And realize I need to make sure to send out some cards to our loved ones, especially my aunt, to let them know they mean so much and I wouldn't be here without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment