Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Why I Love Lily and Marshall

At some point in the last 6 months we caught repeats of How I Met Your Mother on television.

Now, admittedly, we both love Barney Stinson with a passion. I declared yesterday to my cousin that we have decided that there is no situation in life that cannot be solved by Barney.

The best part about the show is that we honestly believe that if we were to run into them in the bar we could sit and fall right into their group. There are actually times when they are talking in a scene and we laugh because it reminds us of sitting at the table after a meal with my sister, my brother, and my nieces. The laughing and sharing are just how things are with them.

Last night was the premiere of Season 6. We've seen everything through Season 4 thanks to our DVD collection, but only bits and pieces of Season 5 through reruns. We knew that Lily and Marshall had decided to try having a baby, finally, and there was a part of me that wasn't sure how I was going to handle that.

At this point, if you haven't seen the premiere, or just don't want to know what happens, stop reading. I am about to spoil the end here. Kinda.

See, Lily and Marshall had a big night planned to start trying. When things go wrong, they end up at the bar to vent and argue a little. Marshall mentions he has been good for 2 weeks to give her his strongest men, and Lily sarcastically points out she's read 11 books, checked her temperature every hour, and calculated when the time was right, but congrats on not playing with yourself!

See why I love the show?

What went wrong was that Marshall had begun telling people they were going to try to have a baby. His father made them a cradle/bassinet in his shop and shipped it, arriving just before Marshall got home for their night. When Lily gets so upset he doesn't understand why. As she discovers that he has told more people, it escalates with her until she finally has a chance to talk to him alone.

She feels under pressure. Her biggest concern: What if she can't get pregnant? She tells him she feels she would be disappointing him. Letting him down.

At this point in the show, I am teary and ready to just cry. She said what I think all women feel when they find themselves infertile: They are the problem. They have let everyone down by not being able to do the one thing that should come naturally.

When Marshall tells her that being with her is more important than having a baby, and that she could never disappoint him, I smiled. And my husband yelled from the office area, "Listen to the man!"

We've had this talk before. He's reassured me so many times that if in the end it's meant to be just him and me, forever, then that's the way it is and he would never trade me for anyone else in the world.

So, I am sitting here typing this, all teary, and thinking about everything. The faint pink on the toilet paper last night before bed, the continuing high body temperature, and the negative test this weekend.

We may still have a long road ahead, but I know I've got the right person by my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment