Tuesday, September 28, 2010

This Morning, I Used the Infertility Card

Calling the doctor this morning was much more exhilarating than I thought it would be. Why?

Because policy is to not see a newly pregnant woman until 10 weeks.

I think my jaw hit the desk. And then I did it. I told the nurse I was infertile, had been diagnosed with PCOS, and I was a little anxious because we had managed to conceive without assistance.

Instantly, the tone changed. I was transferred to the RE's nurse, where I had to leave another message. She called once the doctor reviewed my labs, told me he was very happy with the numbers, and wanted to see me Monday morning.

Just like that, I have my first ultrasound on Monday, October 4th.

The RE called me back an hour or so later to discuss my questions about the diabetes. I've gone back to checking my sugar 4 times a day, once when I wake up, and then 2 hours after each meal. The numbers are still within what I was told is normal, but I am still anxious about my levels. I know it's my responsibility to eat well, and watch the things that can hurt the baby even now.

So, now I've been referred to Endocrinology. Who told me on the phone that all new patient appointments are booked until December.

I must have sounded pitiful. Because she put me on hold, and came back to tell me they could get me in on October 11th at 8:30am.

Apparently, pregnant and diabetic does have some pull with the doctors.

No comments:

Post a Comment