Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Food Diary

After the appointment last Wednesday, when I saw my weight in bright red digital numbers, and the letter from my new RE telling me to seek out help with my blood sugar, it was time for drastic measures.

I've attempted the exercising, the dieting, the carb counting. But it always was too easy to think I was eating healthy and then ruin it.

I mean, do you know what 2oz of vermicelli noodles, dry, looks like?

How about 2oz of lunch meat?

Yeah, exactly.

A year ago I purchased a scale for the kitchen. This thing is spiffy and comes with a booklet containing a list of foods and corresponding codes. The codes are for the food you are weighing, so if you enter it then the display looks like a nutrition guide label on the side of a box of crackers.

I used it twice. Then packed it to bring here.

Well, Monday I unpacked it, and it's been used 2-3 times a day. I am making sure that my portions are what should be an actual portion. I am making sure the chicken breast I eat is exactly accounted for and not just estimated to be about a certain size.

And it's all on an Excel spreadsheet.



I've color coded breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. I total the calories, carbs, protein, fiber, and net carbs each day.

I even added a column to put my glucose levels after eating each meal so I can see the numbers each day.

Will this last? I really don't know.

But even if documenting every last drop of food I intake doesn't, I am getting a sense for portion sizes.

And I am using that for both our dinners.

I actually took the time to measure out 2 servings of dry pasta last night, 1 serving of sauce, and used just that. We split that with a chicken breast each, coated with Italian seasoning, Parmesan cheese, and garlic powder, and we were both happy.

The other major bonus:

Last night after seeing a movie, A asked if I wanted to have dessert someplace. I was able to tell him I had reached my calorie numbers for the day and would have to plan for another night.

And he was completely okay with coming home to snack on a Popsicle.

Now to add back in the exercise at a steady level....

No comments:

Post a Comment