Thursday, March 8, 2012

10 Years Ago, I Would Have Named My Blog This

Last weekend I sat down to read Diary of a Mad Fat Girl by Stephanie McAfee and found myself completely unable to put it down.

As a fan of Steel Magnolias and Fried Green Tomatoes, this book, with it's smart Southern women, and strong story, had me laughing, crying, and cheering them all on.  When it ended, all I wanted to do was start again from the beginning and get to know them all over again.

I call this one a "quick read" because it was something I devoured in two sittings and was able to just read and enjoy without having to over think.  The main character keeps things moving, and I felt such a kindred connection to her and the way she felt about herself and how people perceived her.  Her friends reminded of me so many different women in my life, especially her best friend who just made me think of my sister with all the texting.

So, if you have a chance, and are looking for a book that will make you smile, pick this up.  Diary of a Mad Fat Girl has earned a permanent spot on my nightstand for reading again and again.  And I invite you to join the BlogHer Book Club conversation here to learn more about the book and the author and her amazing story about getting this published.

Seriously, Internets: read this book!

This is a sponsored review for the BlogHer Book Club. While compensation will be forthcoming for taking the time to write about the book, the opinions stated are all mine and mine alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment