Monday, May 3, 2010

Learned on the Road

So I spent the better part of 4 days driving my car across the country.

I am a CA girl, and in CA there are no real rules about what to do when a vehicle is pulled over by a cop other than be careful. At least I have never hear of one in writing that specifies you must move to the other lane or slow down.

Which we found out about just outside Flagstaff, AZ.

Apparently, it's a law. One none of us had heard about or seen anywhere. But my father-in-law and grandaddy were pulled over by a state trooped type person for not having done so.

They were driving the moving van in the slow lane, we were in the fast lane just ahead of them, and so the official pulled them over, ran the license, and issued them a warning about the law.

When we drove into every state after that, we noticed signs explaining this law and reminding drivers. Especially as we came further east. They were on the freeway every 5-10 miles it seemed.

Could you imagine the mess this would make back in CA? I mean, traffic accidents can snarl up freeways for hours during heavy traffic times. If everyone had to merge left I think there would be more accidents there.

Oh, and when you see an oncoming emergency vehicle with their lights and sirens on in your rearview mirror hear in Roanoke?

Nothing changes except to get out of their lane. No stopping. No moving to the right. Just continue the flow of traffic and be alert to what is happening around you.

I seriously ticked off some drivers this last week when I slowed down....

1 comment:

  1. Wait, what? In Indiana, when you see flashing lights, you slow down and get out of their lane. Sirens? You pull over to the right and stop. Even if you have a green light. You stop and keep the roads/intersections open for the emergency vehicles to get by.

    I can't believe you didn't know that! I can't believe it's different from state to state...

    ReplyDelete