Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Mommy Days

Most days are a pretty standard routine:

I work.  James plays with Daddy.  I finish work and we all eat.  Then James plays with Mommy.

Lately, that hasn't been enough.

I think it's amazing the things that toddlers and babies seem to know without having to be taught.  Sucking is a prime example.  I never had to show James how to eat spaghetti, but he will slurp up noodles without blinking.

Shaking his head when he is done with something.  Not just eating, when he is done playing as well.  He will shake his head and walk away.

Lifting his arms when he wants me to pick him up.  Which is hourly.  All day long.  While I am working.

It's been a challenge.  He isn't wanting to grab things on my desk, he just wants to sit on my lap and be held and snuggled.

How do I say no to that?

So, we are adapting.  I'm trying to work smarter throughout the day so I can take much needed breaks.  I hug him and tickle him and talk to him.  He just wants to sit on my lap, babbling away, while playing with his iPhone.

The best part?

If I ask for snuggles, I get the best hugs and he lets me squish him back. 

If I ask for kisses and give him my cheek there is no hesitation.  And some times he gives me his cheek while grinning, know he is going to get kisses from me.

I am so exhausted by the end of the day.  Between working for my paycheck and helping A out with a fussy man who really only wants his mommy, by the James falls asleep I am a zombie.

But it's worth it.  Those days when the 3 of us are on the couch together, and he is just happy to be sprawled over us, his head in my lap with his feet on A's legs.  Those are why I do this.

Now if you'll excuse me, we have grocery shopping to do.  Without James this time because he is with his great grandparents.

Which means that when I pick him up later I will get another magnificent hug and kisses because he missed me.

I'm his mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment