Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A First World Problem

Last Friday, some major storms came through Virginia, and most people are still recovering.

Us?

We are lucky in so many ways.

We watched the wind pick up just before James went to bed.  After he was asleep, you could hear it outside, whipping through everything.  This was the closest I ever thought we'd be to a tornado.

And then silence.  Not a sound.  It was dark out, not a drop of rain had fallen, and everything seemed pretty much normal.

So we went to bed.

Quick confession: besides occasionally tuning in to the news at noon for our local affiliate station, the only news we read are headlines on Yahoo, MSN, and what people report on Facebook.

Yeah, I know, that isn't really news most of the time.  But we are quite content with our obliviousness on most days, and the major issues we do see or hear about through family.

Saturday morning is a prime example of family cluing us in.  Because if my FIL hadn't called, we'd never had known that a majority of the county and valley were without power.  Including them.

We've had visitors stopping in since Saturday, cooling off, visiting with James.  Mainly the latter, since that wobbly walk has everyone mesmerized.

The only issue we've had is so minor that it made us laugh.

Sunday I went to do my weigh in.  It's been 6 months, and I wanted to get an official number and rejoice in the fact that I am selling a lot of big clothes off, can fit comfortable in my husbands old t shirts, and can actually comfortably wear tall boots that were not able to zip shut 9 months ago.

I still don't own a scale.  I rely solely on the Wii and Wii Fit Plus to track the progress.  So I took everything out and prepared to be amazed.

Only to find it was dead.  The Wii just wouldn't power on at all.  The poor thing was about to turn 5, so I guess it was bound to happen, but we just stood there and stared at it.

So, I'm buying a scale this week.  The Wii is being taken to Game Stop for credit towards something else.  We've agreed that for now it makes no sense to replace it since we don't play as often with it.

And that, I believe, is what is considered a First World Problem.  We have water, electricity, and food.  We don't have to brave the outdoors in this heat, and have been able to shelter family when needed.  But we lost our Wii.

No comments:

Post a Comment