Thursday, January 12, 2012

A New Perspective on Fat

I've just finished another book, and this one has me discussing science matters with my husband.  All about fats and our diet and things that make him wonder if I should be allowed to read anymore books.  And all this is becuase of Steven J. C. Gaulin's Why Women Need Fat.

The title alone had me itching to read this one.  And I am so glad it did not disappoint.

Now, I've had my own battles with dieting.  I've never tried too hard until the summer before we got pregnant.  The changes I made to my diet, especially the added Omega 3s that my husband's doctor told him he needed, seemed to make the weight slide off pretty easily.  I still carried it in my thighs and butt, but that's what tunics are for!

After reading Why Women Need Fat, I gained a little more insight on what's changed in the last few decades, why once I did lose some of that weight my cycle happened without any prompting, and also what my goals should be with our current diet/exercise change.  As a woman, my body is different, is programmed to need different things, and I've learned that some of the things I thought were really bad for me are actually things I should enjoy in my diet. (Hello, avocado.  I am looking at you and your good fats.)

I'm on my second reading of the book.  Some of the initial "science" in the first section went a little over my head, but reading it again slowly makes more sense now that I know where the book is headed.

If you are trying to lose weight and wondering why it isn't working, why men seem to be attracted to a certain body type, and what you can do to get back to a "natural" diet, please read this book.  Why Women Need Fat will at least provide you with a solid start when looking at the foods you are eating and what your body really needs as a woman.

I really wish I'd had this years ago.  For more info and to see what's happening with the latest BlogHer Book Club selection please go here and join the conversation!

This is a sponsored review for the BlogHer Book Club.  While compensation will be forthcoming for taking the time to write about the book, the opinions stated are all mine and mine alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment