Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tummy Touching

Since even before becoming pregnant, the bloggers I've followed have all seemed to think the same thing about people touching their pregnant bellies without asking: It's wrong.

I have to be honest when I say I had no real thoughts on the matter.  I mean, yes, it's my body and personal space.  But at the same time, I've never had the urge to touch someone's tummy, and I just never thought about it being a problem.

A pointed out to me that we really don't go out.  We are in the apartment most of the week, and when we do head out to walk, he is by my side the entire time.  Who in the world is going to go through him to try to touch me?

Not to mention that while I admit that I definitely am showing, and it's obvious when wearing the right maternity clothes, I think some people still wonder if I am pregnant or overweight.  I don't think my face has rounded out anymore than before, but there are still parts that show they have nothing to do with the small soccer ball I seem to be concealing under my shirt.

Last week I had decided that I wanted to attend church.  We made the plans, packed lunch to eat with his family after, and went to their house to go to the service.  Once we arrived, we made our way through the crowds and headed for our seats.

A's mother's family all have the same godparents.  I'm not sure where this stems from, but this couple are well known in the church, and they know everyone on his mom's side of the family.  They have been asked to stand for a couple of generations of children, and even now in their 90s attend service every Sunday.

They are honestly the sweetest couple, and they have always welcomed me with a hug and kiss.  Always.

On the way in, his godmother was standing at the door welcoming people, and immediately smiled to see us with the family.  I was last in our little line to go in and she immediately embraced me and thanked me fot the card and pictures I'd sent last month.

A's mother let her know we had chosen a name, and told her.  She immediately said that the name would be new to the family, placed her hands on my belly, and said that he would be blessed and loved and in her prayers.

I haven't stopped grinning at the obvious show of love from her, and her excitement at everything.  And I realized later that this was the first person besides myself and A to have reached out and touched our son.

And I loved every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment