Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Thinking Positive

Besides the fact that we have 9 weeks until we leave, the other item currently on my calendar happens in a little over 3 weeks:

Party!

Once upon a time, drinking was the fun escape on weekends. I can honestly say that I never "technically" drank alone. Being the avid online gamer, my Fridays and Saturdays were spent drinking, playing online, and using a voice chat to talk to all my friends. In various parts of the USA. Also heavily drinking.

There was even one unfortunate night when doing shots of rum with a friend who drove to town to visit and crash at my apartment ended in a mess in the bathroom. But he left me to clean myself up, and then made sure I didn't drink anymore and went to bed.

See, that's what friends are for! Taking care of you when your breath stinks of vomit and alcohol! And you are too wasted to realize you are breathing on them!

Back to the main topic...

I collected alcohol during the years, and when we moved into the mobile home a couple of years ago we brought along 2 boxes of alcohol. And promptly set up a cabinet in the dining room with nothing but booze.

And most of it is still there.

So, next month we are officially having a party. We are doing one last birthday party for me, house party for the house, and have asked people to drink all our booze. Because we aren't transporting it across state lines.

My brother has even suggested raffling off the leftovers at the end of the night. Just so it really is all gone.

I don't drink anymore. I really haven't had a drink since just after I was diagnosed with diabetes and put on meds. The alcohol made me loopy fast, and it felt wrong. Not drunk, just wrong. So, no drinking for me.

And that's not why I am looking forward to this gathering.

We have friends everywhere, and everyone is making an effort to get here to see us together one last time.

If that doesn't warm your heart, then I don't know what else will.

My cousin and her other half are coming from Indiana. My best friend is coming from Washington. And I have a couple of others heading in from Nevada and Texas.

The camera will be charged. There will be some great pictures.

And I will be able to say goodbye to all the friends here in California who have made my life what it is.

These are the things that get me through everything else right now. And I need them more than I am willing to admit out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment