Friday, February 20, 2009

...then why were you even in line?

My normal work routine is to come in to work and just keep going until 5. I'm salaried, make sure I do put in at least 40 hours a week, and 99.9% of the time will eat lunch at my desk while playing on the internet.

It works for me, and my boss seems to like that I am readily available in case of an emergency.

Today my sister asked for a favor.

My nieces, both 15, are home on winter break and she left for work without leaving them some money to go out and buy themselves lunch. Would I mind taking them something to eat for lunch?

Of course not! I love those girls as if they were my own!

So I call them and verify they can wait until 1 for me to leave and grab the appropriate craving of the day. Made sure they knew I would be contacting them before leaving the building to get their orders and then be off.

The time rolls around, and they want burgers from In N Out. They know my office is literally a mile from the nearest one, and since they live on the other side of town it works for me to get the food and head over.

And this is where I learned that people with hands free devices should still not be allowed to drive. Because they make no sense....

See, I pull in to the drive thru and in front of me is a Ford Taurus with an older lady driving. In front of her is a dark BMW with a man in the driver's seat. Nothing else in front of him, so I pause and fiddle with the radio. After a WHOLE song plays through I realize I've been sitting there for a bit. I look ahead and the old lady in front of me is shaking her head at the BMW.

He wasn't at the spot to order.

In fact, he was at least 1 whole car length back, looking at the menu and appearing to mumble to himself. I could see him in the driver's side mirror and couldn't understand what was happening. Why wasn't he ordering?

By now there are 3 more calls behind me. There are now 6 of us sitting there and NO ONE IS ORDERING.

I watched him laugh, nod, and then creep forward to order. All while removing his hands free device from his ear as he begins to respond to the cheery voice greeting him from the intercom....

I don't think I have ever truly felt road rage like that before in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment