Monday, September 21, 2009

My Bear

During our trip to Virginia in May, we spent a couple of days with his family at their local mall.

My husband is a shopper. While he may not shop for himself, he does actually enjoy shopping for me. I have come to rely on his opinion when looking at things to buy for myself. And we have learned that 99% of stores will allow you to take your spouse into a dressing room with you.

Even Target!

That trip, there was no clothes shopping. But we did see something in the window that made us realize we were in trouble.

The Build-A-Bear shop had a display with costumes, and these were proudly viewable from outside the store:





We promptly went in and agreed to create Peter together. The person there didn't make us go through all the hoops they are supposed to, and in the end we were quite satisfied with our little webslinger.

On the second to last day there, after much discussion, we both realized we wanted to go back. He wanted Tony, I wanted Bruce. How did we justify the spending of money on stuffed bears?? Easy:

They'll be placed in the nursery with the baby and be their first real bears.

Since we are of the superhero loving persuasion, it seems perfect to have them there, and we didn't want to run the risk of them being dicontinued.

Fast forward to this last Friday....

After returning from the doctor's office, the only thing I wanted to do was sleep. I was so exhausted, and I hurt from crying. I quite honestly walked in to the house, put on pajamas, and curled up on the couch to rest.

And when I asked for Batman, A went and brought him to me. And then sat on the floor by my head to play video games where he could still be nearby.

I woke up over an hour later, still clutching the bear. And able to see that A was still seated right in front of me, on the floor.

He hadn't moved.

My favorite hugs from A are big ones, where it feels like he is squeezing the very breath from me in an enormous bear hug.

And he made me feel safer than any stuffed teddy bear ever could at that moment on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment