Monday, March 30, 2009

McPerfect

I have managed to not get too addicted on soapy dramas. My main television show favorites stick to forensic investigation or superheroes or even the supernatural. But I do admit to liking me some time watching Grey's Anatomy. I will even admit to a mild addiction.

Yes, last season blew some serious chunks. I can proudly say I didn't watch 99% of the episodes. Thanks to abc.com I was able to read the recaps and know what was happening. Which still made me decide the show had gone incredibly wrong somewhere.

This season I was tentative at first. Only since Christmas have I begun to watch again. Mainly when I learned that McDreamy was going to propose. And last Thursday I was able to watch the moment finally happen.

It made me miss A even more. The set up of the proposal was so wonderful and it was just the way it needed to be for them. There was no question about it, and you could see in her eyes that she knew this too.

And that got me thinking to last May....

I had known A had the ring for a week. He had told me it was at the house somewhere, and he was just waiting for the right time to do everything. Since Fridays are our "date" nights, I have to admit I was waiting for it.

We started out eating at Yankee Pier and enjoying some nummy seafood. From there it was off to Barnes and Noble for some browsing and shopping. We both love our books, and they also carry comics, which makes it even better for us there. Once inside we could see the slices of cheesecake that their Starbuck's shop sells. They are brough in from the Cheesecake Factory at the mall nearby, so we went from browsing books to having dessert. Then some walking at the mall to let things settle and look around some more. We stopped once more on the way home for some fun at Target before admitting to being tired.

All this kept us out from about 4:30 until after 9 that night. There was no rushing. I know I was anxious for things to happen, but I was enjoying our time doing what we love to do together: wandering. When we were finally on our way home, I will admit there was a small part of me that decided it wasn't happening yet and had resolved itself to another week of waiting. But I still remember driving home with a smile.

We walked in and recapped our night to our roommate and then went to our room to change out of jeans and tennis shoes and into comfy house clothes. I was beat and stretched out on my side of the bed, just relaxing for a minute while A changed and put things away in the closet.

Then A stretched out next to me and started rubbing my back. I remember turning my head towards him and smiling. Then he turned on his side, facing me on my tummy and told me to roll over. He told me to kiss him, which I did. Then he told me to hug him, which I did. Then he looked at me with those brown eyes and calmly said, "Now marry me." And very casually placed a small box between us on the bed.

I've shared this story before, and from guy friends get the comment about how smooth he was. A doesn't think it was smooth, but he was going for the surprise and he got the reaction he was hoping for. And I am always going to remind people planning to propose that they need to just make it simple and sweet.

And perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment