Thursday, July 14, 2011

When Sleep Overrides Everything

One of the things that A and I agreed on months ago was that we didn't like the idea of co-sleeping.

Now, I don't think there is anything wrong if you like co-sleeping.  But we both are big people, and we take up a large portion of our king size bed. 

I didn't worry about crushing the baby as much as I do worry about getting into a habit that would be hard to break later.

My husband worried about crushing the baby.

The moment we walked in from the hospital in May, our son was removed from his carrier, where he was fast asleep, and laid in his crib.  With the exception of some recent couch naps, he has slept in his crib for all sleep periods.  Especially at night.

Well, except for twice a few weeks ago.  And this morning.

He is great about sleeping 7-8 hours each night.  He really is.  But he falls asleep at an hour where he is awake by 4am to be fed.

Some mornings, like yesterday, he wakes up and is ready to be up for his usual 2-3 hour stint of "entertain me, parent!" and I do that and get the day started early.

Other mornings, like today, he eats a full bottle in 20 minutes, belches like an old drunken sailor, and then immediately yawns and starts to snuggle for sleep.

Most of those times, I will wait until he is really asleep and then move him to his crib.  Normally this means 2-3 more hours of rest, once there was even 4 whole hours.

But today I wanted my bed.  Reeeeeally wanted my bed.

So I took him back to bed with me, got settled, and we were both asleep in time to get 3 more hours before I had to get up for work.

I get an eye roll from A about this, especially because he is now the one up with him while I'm at the desk, but in the end no complaints.

Besides, I sleep better being able to inhale his scent as I drift off myself, and I know he feels the same about me....

No comments:

Post a Comment