Thursday, August 11, 2011

...The Bad...

Internets, this having a baby thing is expensive.

I won't go into the deep details with you.  I can barely keep it straight since the doctors and hospitals and labs all seemed to bill everything at once in June.  I can tell you that AFTER insurance did their thing my share of the bill was a little over $2K. 

And that is on top of the cost of prescriptions, meeting a $250 deductible, their adjustment because everything was in-network, and their paying 90% of the bill for me.

We are a single income family.  My maternity leave put me on disability, where I brought home 2/3 of my normal pay for 6 weeks.

And because I didn't collect a paycheck from work, the costs of the benefits that are normally deducted were put on hold and I now am playing catch up with them.

I am learning to like coupons for everything right now.  Trust me.

One thing the hospital didn't mention was an assistance to pay program they have.  I found it by accident on their site, and I completed the paperwork and sent it in.  They called 1 week later to say that we were approved and received a 40% discount on everything.

Bringing the bill down to just over $1K.

So now we are doing a monthly payment through a credit program called MedKey.  I was approved for some enormous line of credit towards medical expenses, and slowly pay it monthly at a low interest rate.

Just what we needed, another bill, right?

The baby has his surgery coming in a couple of months, so now I have to see if I can use that line of credit towards his expenses as well or if I need to start from the beginning.

Either way, it's going to be a long road out of this mess. 

But I can still say I wouldn't trade any of it for anything in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment