Friday, January 14, 2011

Connecting

Before leaving CA, A and I were already more or less hermits.

But not in a bad way.

We just preferred to be home together, never did the bar/club thing, and everyone we did know who didn't do those things were parents. They had kids, the youngest being about 5, and so it was hard at times to coordinate time out with them.

The move here hasn't changed our lives too much. It's quieter, we certainly don't get visitors more than twice a month, but for the most part we do what we've always done.

Yesterday was the first time where I stopped and realized that A has been my sounding board for all things pregnancy related. He honestly knows more than I think most men as I read the books to him, share facts daily, and every time there is a twitch from inside he gets a replay.

He is honestly not complaining. He has said from day 1 that he wanted to be a part of all this, and a full part of the baby's life. It was another added reason for our move: the fact that he could be at home while I worked from home, and together we would be there for everything.

One of my company's remote offices has a woman who apparently is about 5 weeks behind me in her pregnancy. She was talking to someone there who mentioned me and how far along I was, and suddenly she was online and we were chatting.

I didn't realize how much I would enjoy sharing this with someone who was going through it at about the same time. We laughed about the strange smells we've noticed, our husbands and their reactions to certain commercials on television because they know our tears will be coming, and the excitement of going through this together.

Today I told A that I had looked through the recreation guide for the valley. There are a couple of infant and parent classes to work on movement, and the earliest the baby is allowed to attend is 3 months. I've decided I need to be social, and this would be a great way to meet other women in the area with children our age.

Who knows. Maybe we'll have play dates!

And my husband, who really does prefer not to meet new people, has promised to be nice and socialize with me. Because, in the end, it's what will be best for our son.

No comments:

Post a Comment