Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Is It Starve A Fever, Feed A Cold?

Can you even say you are starving your child these days without someone calling some authority to take them from you?

Technically, you aren't doing the starving.  It's just that when there's a fever involved, sleep and laziness take over all primary functions.

Last week, I thought A was going to have a nervous breakdown about James' lack of appetite.  We'd finally got him to drink using straws, he's eating less baby food daily, and suddenly he just stopped everything.

We did make sure to attempt some baby fruits and yogurts.  Those he would swallow while curled up on one of our laps as the other circled with a spoon.  He never ate a whole container at once, so we had a shelf of half eaten things that we rotated around, and nothing went to waste in the end.

You could tell when the food had hit his system as he suddenly would have energy and demand to play. 

Have you ever seen someone with a fever spin in circles and then collapse into a giggling mess?  He'd do it two or three times and then be too tired to do it again.  I wish I hadn't been laughing so hard that I'd thought to record it.

As he started feeling better, he had more of an appetite.  He still didn't want food though, just yogurt and fruit, and so we just let him lead and didn't fight.

By Sunday, he was showing no signs of anything being wrong.  Well, if you didn't catch a look at him after he ran around for a bit or sneezed.  If you saw him at those moments you'd wonder why no one had invented something to catch the snot that runs out of a toddler's nose.

For the record, my husband used to hunt deer.  He's dealt with cleaning it and everything.  He isn't squeamish.  But one look at the amount of stuff running out of James' nose and he lost his appetite and gagged.

I admit to giggling at him over this.  Until James sneezed on my hand.

Anywho.

So Sunday, after playing for 2 hours at his great grandparents' house, James didn't want to nap, and by dinner time appeared to be as energetic as he had been that morning.  I knew I wanted to give him something that he would swallow easily, but with some protein so that he felt full, and warm to help melt his sinuses.

The only thing we had was chicken flavored ramen soup.

So I made egg drop soup.

All I did was beat 1 egg in a small cup, and as soon as the timer went off because the noodles were done, I slowly poured it into the pot as I stirred.  As soon as it was all in, and I confirmed that everything was cooked, I cut the heat and then added the seasoning.

James ate almost all of it, including the broth, without any hesitation.  There were only a few spoonfuls of noodles at the bottom of the bowl.

And since then has not stopped eating.

Example:

Dinner last night consisted of a tub of peas, a tub of a baby dinner, the last 1/2 jar of fruit, the last 1/2 container of yogurt, and several ounces of water.  Then when we sat to eat, James came and ate about a serving worth of noodles in alfredo sauce.  And then about half a slice if Italian cream cake that was on my plate for dessert.

He didn't ask for anything else, but woke of this morning demanding breakfast.

Do girls eat like this?  Cause I don't remember my nieces eating like this.

I fear for his teenage years.

No comments:

Post a Comment