Thursday, July 12, 2012

Knowing Who You Are

This month's book selection, The Chaperone by Laura Moriarity, was another one that I couldn't put down.

The development of the charachters, the story, and just the writing had me hooked almost from the beginning.  I loved the way that Cora, our main charachter and a true heroine in her own way, embarks on a journey, and even when it isn't what she had hoped for, still manages to come away with a strong sense of self that just continues to grow.  She is an amazing woman, and at the end I was sitting in tears, happy for the way the story left me feeling.

Another thing it has done is made me look at a silent film actress I'd never hear of.  She is a part of the story for Cora, and the author does an amazing job of taking pieces of her actual real life and weaving it in with the story she has created.

Please try reading this story.  Set in a time when things were so different, it just was amazing in a way that The Help was for me earlier this year.  You will not be disappointed in The Chaperone, please believe me.

For more information on the book and author, you should visit the BlogHer page about the latest selection.  There is more info here as well!

This is a sponsored review for the BlogHer Book Club. While compensation will be forthcoming for taking the time to write about the book, the opinions stated are all mine and mine alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment