Friday, May 25, 2012

Dear Birthday Boy

James, today you turn 1.

I don't know if you'll ever know what we went through to have you.  How lucky we are that you chose us to be your parents.

But I hope you will always know how much we love you.

This past year, you've made us a family.

We were blessed with the easiest baby ever.  Even now, 10 days after surgery, you are the happiest baby I have ever seen.


When we get you laughing, and I mean the real giggles, no one can help but laugh with you.

Your daddy wasn't sure what he was getting in to, and I still remember how excited and scared we were about becoming parents last May.

But all that went out the door when we met you for the first time.

I love that you are learning to talk, babbling your way through the day.  You laugh at us and our silly faces, flip through magazines, and test every toy with your thumb to make sure and look for a hidden button that might make noise or light up.

Even your stuffed animals.

There are days I miss our snuggling naps, when you fit on my chest and would sleep for hours with me, so I could inhale your scent.  Right now, you are too busy getting in to the next thing and laughing as you crawl as fast you can to play.


You do everything on your own, at your own pace.  You've shown us that you prefer to figure out your toys rather than us sitting and forcing you to play a certain way.  You also have started mimicing everyone around you, but most noticably your daddy.  When he sits to read a magazine on the couch, you will go get one of the ones we've given to you and flip through it.  You even cross your legs like he does, something we've never shown you, but that the photographer yesterday loved because it made her job easier.

There will be many years to come, more things to learn together, and watching you grow into a man is something I am so looking forward to.  Just don't go too fast, okay?  I need more of your hugs and smiles, and I plan to get them at every opportunity.


Happy birthday, James.  I love you more than I thought it would have been possible to love another person, and I always will

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful letter to your sweet boy! He's adorable!

    ReplyDelete