Monday, February 14, 2011

D is for Diabetes

Have I mentioned how happy I am to have dodged the glucose test that every pregnant woman has to go through?

And it was close during the visit at the beginning of this month. The Colonel had a momentary lapse and began to remind me of needing to take the glucose test in the next month. I mentioned, in dire hopes he was mistaken, that with the insulin I take during the day, would I take an injection before the test or should I just go as is….? He shook his head, laughed, and apologized. He got ahead of himself and said to just keep doing what we have been and watch things.

Later, A mentioned that the look on my face was priceless, and it was clear I was relieved when I was told there was no need for the actual test to occur.

Having diabetes coming into the pregnancy has honestly kept me on my toes more than anything else. I am making sure to eat every two hours, I check my blood sugar after breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and I try my hardest to watch my carbs.

The carbs have been the most interesting part of this. Finding the balance with getting fiber and some grains into my diet, while not overdoing it, has us reading labels for everything we buy. I’m not perfect, nowhere near, and I know my snacks may be a little bit of a spike, but the effort is there.

I look back of the first 24 weeks of this adventure and feel confident that everything that could be done to make sure things would work out as best as it could.

I know we aren’t out of the woods yet. There is a lot more monitoring to be done during this last stretch, and the biggest concern is that the baby will gain too much weight too fast. He gained 11 ounces between week 20 and 24, so I’m feeling good about the progress.

And again, I love the Colonel. During the last visit, he mentioned that he has never had a problem with a diabetic pregnancy and delivery, and he has no intention of starting with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment