Friday, June 25, 2010

I Officially Have A Morning Routine

For as long as I can remember, I have always been proud of the fact that I am very low maintenance when it comes to getting ready each morning. From the time I get out of bed to the time I am dressed, I average 20 minutes. That is including a shower and doing my hair.

There are people out there wondering about that part. See, I am blessed with naturally curly hair. I wash it, towel dry it, spray in a leave-in conditioner, comb it out, and then shake it up a little before parting it down the middle.

All done.

The only real downer about my hair is that once it is dry there is nothing I can do with it. Once it poofs up due to wind or exercise, I am done. And don't get me started on trying to maintain it after swimming.

Just not happening.

In the last week, I have had to make more time. I have things I have to do before I even think of sitting up each morning. I actually have a nightstand now, and it has a notepad, pen, Fertile Focus Ovulation Microscope, basal body thermometer, and the chart that came with the thermometer. And I have added my glucose meter to this now as well.

The normal morning means that the alarm will go off, I stretch to turn it off, and immediately reach for the thermometer. My eyes open long enough to turn it on and insert the sucker into my mouth. Once it beeps, I note the temperature, turn it off, grab the microscope, pad of paper, and pen. The saliva sample is placed on the glass and set on the nightstand to dry for 5 minutes. Meanwhile I write down my temperature and plot it on the chart. Then I grab the glucose meter and do the test. I lay there until I am sure the 5 minutes pass and then reassemble the microscope to look at the results. Then a quick shower, I get dressed for the morning, and boot the computers. While they warm up I practice my version of Yoga: trying to hold the microscope in one hand, with the LED light on, while maneuvering the iPhone into a position where I can take a picture with my other hand. Then that gets emailed from the phone to my computer so I can stare it.

Add the Metformin and prenatal pill, then the gathering of juice and some yogurt for sustenance, and my 20 minute routine is now double.

The best part? In order to maintain accurate results, the goal is to do these tests at the same time each day. So even on weekends I find myself setting the alarm so I can at least get a sample for the microscope and my temperature.

Nine times out of ten, A sleeps through all of this. He doesn't stir unless I directly force him to.

Why am I doing this now?

I want to go to this appointment next month and be able to provide as much data as possible. It also keeps me from examining my body for any signs of anything changing. That was beginning to border on narcissistic, so I think this new approach is better. And it keeps me from staring at the mirror for too long.

I really don't remember any health instructor taking the time to warn girls that things could be difficult. I honestly think there should be some counseling to warn them. Actually, I think it would work more as a PSA, letting them know that if it doesn't "just happen" they aren't abnormal.

Meanwhile, back in my happy little microscope, things still look good. Well, as good as I think they are supposed to look anyway.

I don't know if you can see, but there appears to still be some small "ferning" happening there. Yes, it is too soon to be able to say "Look at me! I'm ovulating!", but it actually makes me feel better being able to see this.

It helps me to feel like I'm not abnormal.

No comments:

Post a Comment