Thursday, February 18, 2010

This Is Not the Subject I Wanted to Be An "Expert" On

I think I may have mentioned briefly before that I work in a call center. I actually lead a team who answers general questions for employees from different companies on their benefits, what's covered and isn't, and how to get help with claims.

Fun, right?

The advantage to this is that I know how to read statements from carriers. I also can generally advise the right way to get something corrected.

In the general scheme of things, it's not too bad a job. I like helping people.

The irony of it all is that the one question none of us has ever liked getting is "does my insurance plan cover infertility treatment?".

Insurance is so broad about their terminology, and will cover certain things, but not others because to them it isn't medically necessary. It sucks, royally. Most of my items were covered, and the agreed upon rate with the carriers weren't too bad. But I know that IVF will not be, and I don't look forward to having to make that decision.

When callers ask the dreaded question, the normal response is to refer them to the carrier. There are a couple of insurance brokers we can ask to check items on their behalf, but it still is a touchy subject for everyone. Especially when you don't know the terminology, and the caller isn't ready to tell you about their issues.

So, when my phone rang earlier and the question was asked, I froze for a moment. And then asked what specifically she wanted to know about.

Once I started saying "follicle scan", "clomid", "IUI", the caller quietly said that it sounded like I knew what she was going through. After a couple more questions, she thanked me for taking the time and hung up.

I looked at my team and told them that while I am happy I could help, at the same time I wanted to cry.

I never thought I would be the one who would have first-hand knowledge about these types of treatments.

It's been a year.

I am officially infertile.

No comments:

Post a Comment