Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The One Where We Get A Bed

I bought my first "adult" bed roughly 13 years ago. I fell in love with it in the furniture store: queen size, cherry wood, four poster bed, and it was high enough off the ground that I could slide boxes under it without problems.

For the record, standing only 5' 2 1/2" resulted in my having to take a running leap to get on to the bed. That or climb on to it carefully. I never did find a good step stool.

Anywho.

When A moved in with me, the bed was 8 years old. And when I say "bed" I mean the mattresses as well.

Last May, my mother decided to get herself a smaller bed. We inherited her queen size metal sleigh bed and the mattresses to go with it. There was no hesitation in getting rid of the old bed. Not even for a second.

When we decided to move, A's grandmother had just had her bedroom redone with new furniture. She offered us her old set, complete with queen size bed minus mattresses. We jumped at the offer, realizing that it meant we could give my brother the bed we were currently using and not have to drag anything extra across the country. All we had to do was buy a new mattress and box spring.

We realized that we weren't in a position to buy mattresses right after moving. There were other expenses that were more important. So, when we left our bed behind, we took the futon mattress that my brother had been sleeping on.

Make sure you read that last line: we took the futon mattress, but not the actual futon. Planning to only need to use it for a week until we could pick-up mattresses.

On the drive out, A and I experienced sleeping in a King size bed.

And that is how our plans changed.

Fast forward to our arrival: we decided we could sleep on the futon mattress, laid on the floor of the bedroom, an extra 2 weeks if it meant getting a bigger bed.

Internets, that was the longest 2 weeks of my life. Especially as the mattress was a full size one.

Our cat didn't even bother trying to sleep with us. We were on the floor with him, so he took to sleeping on the carpet near us since there was no room between us.

Well, last Friday it arrived. A beautiful King size bed, with new mattress we picked out. And new sheets that we picked out and washed to use on our new big bed.

Life has returned to normal as far as sleep is concerned. With an added addition:



Apparently, someone is under the impression this purchase was for him.

That position you see him in? With his tummy exposed?

Well, since I don't reach the foot of our bed, that is how he sleeps every night.

Definitely a good investment, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment